Thursday, March 10, 2011

Delicious Mediterranean Dinner in a SNAP!


Buongiorno le mie ragazze,  (Italian for Good Morning my girls)

So Mediterranean fever has hit!  I am day dreaming about Italian villa's and flower filled gardens.  How about you?

So, last night I decided to make Orange Chicken.  Why?  My kids are always talking about how great Orange Chicken is at Panda Express...but I had it the other day, and well.  Not so great.  I decided I could make a much healthier, Mediterranean version for my family.  So here is my recipe. 

Side note...First I decided to make a Ratatouille with egg plant, fresh baby spinach, onion, olive oil, white wine, tons of oregano, and canned chopped tomatos.  That is what we are going to eat tonight.  It takes about 1 hour to really cook well. 
  1. Heat your cast iron skillet
  2. Chop all vege's
  3. Add EVOO to hot pan and put in onions, saute until onions are clear
  4. Add egg plant, spinach leaves, tomato's and spices, then the white wine, just about a 1/2 cup
  5. Cover and simmer for 1 hr.
  6. Remove lid and cover with Italian shredded cheese blend. 


While it was cooking I put the Chicken in the oven

  1. I used legs and thighs
  2. covered with EVOO
  3. sprinkled with oregano, chili powder, lime juice, lemon juice
  4. sliced oranges on top
  5. add a bit of salt and pepper
  6. put into a 300 degree oven.
I love SLOW roasting.  I basted this often with the juices of the olive oil and orange.  It was AMAZING!




While that was cooking the Ratatouille finished and I added the cheese....PERFECTION!



After about 1.5 hours in the oven, the chicken should be close to falling off the bone because you have basted it about every 20 minutes with loving care...right....then you have to broil it.  Be careful!  You have to watch it or it will burn.


Remove after the skin has crisped.


I put into my pretty cassarole dish and covered.  This will be dinner tonight. 



SO What did we eat Last Night??  While all this was cooking...I threw together a plate of Smoked Herring, Whole Wheat crackers, black and jalapeno stuffed Olives, YUMMY Salad, sliced cheeses, grape tomatos in olive oil and basil, and some whole wheat pasta with a red sauce for the guys.



Dinner was delicious!  I hope this gives you some good ideas and gets you on the healthy track to eating the Mediterranean way!

Mangiar bene!  (Good eating!)

Kisses,
JennyMay



2 comments:

  1. Everything looks heavenly delicious and oh so good for you! Wow you and your hubby are doing great! Love the recipes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well thank you Ms. Carrie...I am having a lot of fun cooking this way.

    Have a great weekend! Spring is coming!!

    ReplyDelete