Friday, November 18, 2011

Day 4 - She is Like The Merchant Ships!


Day 4 - Proverbs 31:14

"She is like the merchant ships; bringing food from afar."

Hi,

This published before I had a chance to write anything!  Then I wrote and was totally done and it didn't save.  So....I move on, maybe God wanted me to write something different. 
I found this Amazing site for learning all about the Proverbs 31 woman.  Click the link below to be redirected. 



I am still using "Discovering the Treasure's of a Godly Woman" which I love because it is like a workbook so you can refer back to changes you would like to make, reflect on what you are doing right and also gage your spiritual transformation as you go through the chapters, verse by verse.

Definitely worth purchasing this book Used on Amazon.




So, today I find this website and am totally convicted about something the author writes about because I need to change this about my shopping habits. 

First of all let me say that this week I did have a victory in this area.  I earned 100. dollars on my website and used it to further my blogging efforts and also purchased fabric to make presents and other items to sell. 

So this week I can tell my husband.  I earned 100. dollars with my home business honey, and used the money to increase my business and make gifts to save us money during Christmas!  I was feeling very proud of myself....but then I read this take on what the Proverbs 31 woman probable did.

"Today the wife usually says to her husband, "Dear, I need some money because I'm going to town to do our weekly grocery shopping." The virtuous woman said, "Dear, I'm going to town but I don't need any money because I'm taking some of the fine linen which I have made and will trade it in for some items of food which you will really enjoy." How can he complain about that? "  (middletownbiblechurch.org)

WOW - I am totally convicted.  FIRST of all.....she MADE the fine linen!!!   I went to JoAnn fabrics, walked to the sale items, and used a 40 percent off coupon. 

Although I am happy with my profit and purchases.  My goal is to be even better at frugality and resourcefulness in order to optimize our household budget.

In fact, my husband and I had an argument about finances again today.  He wants to manage the money.  I am having a hard time transferring this over to him. Tomorrow I will sit down with him, without my attitude....and happily make the transition.

Back to the Proverbs 31 woman....

So, not only would she travel to purchase her food and items for her household, but she traded items that she made or used her profit from the vineyard she purchased for food for her household. 

I can tell you that as a stay at home mom shopping the deals is easy. Running around to several different stores with my girl friends has been fun. 

However, when I was working 20, 30, 40 hours per week.....I just wanted to go home, I didn't care about shopping deals. 

***This is the trade off for staying home full-time.  I may not be working outside the home anymore.  BUT I am working inside the home....which is, I am finding, much harder than I thought! 

It is refining my character as a wife for sure by forcing me to allow Jeff to lead the household.  I have to give up control.  I need to be more accommodating and not fight with him on things he wants to make improvements on. 

I hope my comments have encouraged you to identify areas in your frugality and ability to manage the household finances like the Proverbs 31 woman. 

Also - I should clarify....as you can see, this study is not daily because it is taking me much longer to apply these principles to my life than just daily trying to squish them in...Spiritual Transformation takes time and thankfully we have a patient and loving God!!  AMEN!

2 Peter 3:9
New International Version (NIV)

9 "The Lord is not slow in keeping his promise, as some understand slowness. Instead he is patient with you, not wanting anyone to perish, but everyone to come to repentance."



I am so grateful for our loving and understand Father because I need a lot of molding!




Blessings,
Jenny

6 comments:

  1. I always feel this way now when I am out grocery shopping and going to two or three different stores to get what is best for my family! I love this verse.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the rest of your post now that I got to read it. That is so cool that you made your own money to add to the household income. And it is a blessing that your husband actually WANTS to do the finances, because most men don't care or don't want to deal with it, so maybe if you look at it from that perspective, it would help releasing it to him? I would understand where you are coming from, though, because I do the finances and if my hubby wanted to do them I would feel like he didn't know how or would mess it up and it would give me an anxiety attack. I guess it is about having faith in him.

    You make me rethink about my crafting and where money goes when I do make it. Thank you for this post!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so glad to see you are getting something out of this study. I know I am! Today I woke up with a totally different attitude toward my husband. I prayed...to be subject to my husband and surrendered to the will of God that this is my role and when I am submissive this is when I will be the most contentent.


    Blessings,

    Jenny

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is an interesting interpretation. I wouldn't be burdened with guilt, however, for asking for your husband for money to do the grocery shopping. This would imply that a woman MUST bring in an income, when it is the husband who is directed in the Scriptures to provide for his own, while the wife is to be a keeper at home...

    I think that is neat that your husband wants to do the finances. What a stress-reliever! Isn't that what Fascinating Womanhood teaches? I am reading that book right now and loving it! I see that you took a class. May I ask if it was online and where you took it? I have seen there are a few different places to take a class and am wondering if it is worth it besides reading the book.

    Thank you!
    Mrs. Q

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Mrs Q,

    I always appreciate your comments and thoughts on scripture. You are so right that it is the man's worry...and part of what takes femininity away from women is the worry over providing according to Helen Adeline of FW. I guess my take away from the proberbs 31 woman is her ability to do whatever she could to help her husband and to keep the home within his budget and in good order, she worked hard and was so resourceful. She is a model but she is not a "real" person...just a guide. From what I have studied anyway.

    So about Fascinating Womanhood. Click on the book icon on the upper right side of my site to go to her site and register for the online class which starts in January. I actually am going to take it again in January and then become a certified teacher. I really want to know these principles inside and out because there is so much proof that it cultivates happy marriages all over the world.

    It is sooooo good. Love this book, and it totally help me change my marriage. In fact, because of the changes he saw in me he became a baptized christian himself. That was 2 years ago.

    I hope you ALL take this class, it would be fun if we could all do it together!!

    Kisses and Hugs,
    Jenny

    ReplyDelete