Wednesday, June 29, 2011

On Becoming Vulnerable


Hi Happy Homemakers!

Does your husband need a sledge hammer to get to your heart?  I know my husband did.  It was not a pretty site either.  Lots of fighting, crying, fits of rage.  You name it....we did it.  I did it.  I was not willing to be vulnerable.  After reading Fascinating Womanhood I learned more about how important it is for our husband and family to see our softer side.  The 21st century would like women to be more like men and I am here to say today that it doesn't work!

Lately, I have been thinking a lot about my relationship with my husband.  I am so grateful that we have made it through so many difficult times and are today solid as a rock!  However, it was not an easy road and I am sad to say I did not make it easy for him to love me.  He literally had to use a hammer to get through to my heart.  I had been hurt so many times and in so many ways that I had by the age of 40 built quite a large wall of stone around my heart.  When a very dear friend pointed this out I had a revelation.

I found that I could feel true love for my children but when it came to anyone else.  Especially my husband.  I was very closed off.  I believed that I did not care either way if he left me or not.  I would be fine on my own.  A good friend in Christ pointed this out and said "If you can't feel love for your husband, how can you love God?"  She was right.  My heart was a steal trap, a concrete wall.  I claimed to love God but how could I really love when I did not truly love my husband.  Marriage signifies the relationship between Christ and his church?  Oh my!  I had to do something about this.

For me it was a program at church called Chains Released that help to start to tear down this wall.  Mainly it was God and my willingness to be vulnerable.  I hated it at first.  Showing my husband my weakness.  Being humble, meek, and more quiet and gentle.  It almost went against every fiber of my being.  But slowly....God changed my heart.

My charge for you today Happy Homemakers....is to allow yourselves to be vulnerable.  Let down a little and just see how differently people react to you.  This is not only important in your relationship with your husband but also with relationships in general; parents, children, co-workers and friends.

Fascinating Womanhood is a great resource for learning how to do this...but prayer, repentance, and support from other spiritual woman is also important.

Love in Christ with  Kisses and Hugs and a few tears,
JennyMay

3 comments:

  1. I'm in the same boat! I'm still trying to learn to have a meek and quiet spirit and to be gentle. You're right in saying that the world expects us to be tough and hard like men, and no it DOES NOT work. Especially if you husband is a real manly man lol So many times tears have been shed because I can be so cold and heartless. Thank you for the reminder and encouragement to be more vulnerable and to open my heart up to God and my husband!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good post! I'm blog hopping and am so glad that I found yours!! I'm now following! Would love for you to check out my blog and follow back!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fascinating Womanhood is on my to read list - currently reading The Surrendered Wife. You're right this modern world would like for us to be more like men. But it doesn't work!

    Mary Ellen
    The Working Home Keeper

    ReplyDelete